The Nanhua Buddhism Monastery has a history of more than 1500 years. Since Huineng the sixth Patriarch came to preach the southern school of sudden enlightenment, there appeared many prominent Buddhist figures associated with the monastery. Master Hanshan, one of the four great monks of the Ming dynasty, had made great contribution to the renovation of the monastery as well as to the reorganization of the samgha. During the years of the Republic of China, Rev.Xu Yun, the leading figure of the Chan sect, witnessed the ignorance of the Buddhist team of doctrine and confusion in practice, and sighed “it is hard to promote the Dharma if the samgha is not organized and educated”. Hence he established the Nanhua Buddhism College of Vinaya to reinforce Buddhism education in 1948.
In 1983, Master Huiyin, then abbot of the monastery, after subduing much difficulties, pioneered samgha education in Guangdong by setting up samgha training program. In the past ten years the program has provided training to a number of young believers who are now carrying out their mission throughout the country. In May of 2000, Rev.Chuanzheng was entitled abbot of the monastery. Fully aware of the importance of education to the development of Buddhism, he resumed education in the monastery and named the institution Caoxi Buddhism College of Guangdong.
Since the resumption of the college he has been fully involved in its construction. Under his leadership much construction work has been completed: a three-storied teaching building of 2,700 sq.m, a three-storied library with collection of more than 40 thousand books, a dormitory with more than 40 rooms, two buildings with standard facilities for masters, and a Zen hall that can allow 300 people. He has also set up the journal of the college, Water of the Caoxi Stream.